FBA Board of Directors Meeting - September 1, 2012
4:45 pm Meeting Open
Board Members Present: : Dana Hillis, Tony Wolfe, Ed Hartwig, Gail Cushing, Damon Wooley
Guests in Attendance: Marty Hyde, Norm Cukras, Ruth Cukras, Paul Chapman, Mary Chapman, Wendy Wolfe, Katie Buchanan, Pete Odom, Tom Pippen, Lou Goldman, Sheliah Jones, Mac McLaughlin, Bob Youngblood, EJ Krause, George Kendall, Donna Kendall, Rick Wolfe
July minutes approved by email
- 8/3/2012 - BOD voted to spend between $400 and $500 to install shelves in the FBA merchandise trailer.
- 8/10/2012 - There was a lack of communication over Triple Crown Sponsors being advertised in the BBQ News. The BOD discussed the problem and agreed to get the Sponsors into the Newspaper.
- 8/9/2012 - Ricky assigned all FBA members a Facebook membership number to help keep members only on our FB member only page.
- 8/22/2012 - Big discussion in regard to the potential Kissimmee contest (Cowtown contest) on March 16,2013. The contest is 146 miles from Ft Myers - Bishop Verot High School 2nd year contest- the same weekend. It was decided that the two contests were just to close and FBA decided to sanction Ft. Myers and pass on Kissimmee Cowtown contest.
- 8/30/2012 - BOD is discussing who will count the paper ballots for those who do not have email and have to mail in their votes.
- 8/5/2012 - BOD voted to use electionbuddy.com for the online voting. The results of the online system will be revealed at one second after midnight on December 12, 2012. Ricky Ginsburg and Gail Cushing will get the email results from the election company and will reveal the results to the rest of the organization.
- 8/20/2012 - Judges Committee has submitted a proposal for the JOTY program. The BOD needs to discuss and move forward on voting on the different criteria.
- 8/24/2012 - The 2013 FBA calendar is being created. Last year's calendar cost $4600 not including postage. This year's calendar in an 8-1/2x11 size with the same quality paper is $2700 not including postage. Postage will also be half of what we spent last year because we are using a standard size envelope. The calendars take 3 to 4 weeks to print and deliver and another week to stuff into envelopes and apply postage and mailing labels. The should be going out to the membership during the second week of October
- 8/30/2012 - Ricky Ginsburg has added a 100 photo slide show to the FBA website. There is a link to it from both the main page and also the FAQ page.
Treasurer's Report - Ricky Ginsburg:
- Total Assets: $34,145.61, no outstanding bills
- Our bank - BankAtlantic - has been taken over by BB&T. We will need new signature cards once a new account number has been assigned to us by BB&T. We just got more checks, but the new bank will honor the old checks until November 2013.
- Database: 741 Members total of whom 21 are Lifetime, 10 are Restaurant, and 6 are Corporate. We have 181 Teams and 472 Judges.
- $1000 in the bank from Triple Crown Sponsors
Membership - Gail M. Cushing: 21 new members
Contests - Damon Wooley: Contests voted by the Board to Sanction:
- Ashburn, GA - March 22-23, 2013
- Tavares, FL - April 26-27, 2013
- Oviedo, FL - May 24-25, 2013
- Thomaston, GA - April 5-6, 2013
- Cocoa, FL - June 7-8, 2013
Judges Committee: Marty Hyde
- The judges committee designed a point system plan for the JOTY program. Marty Hyde presented a slide presentation for the BOD to look at and discuss. There was a unanimous "yes" vote to implement the committee's plan. The system will be displayed on our web site for everyone to look at.
Bylaws Committee - Tom Snow - not present.
- 1. There was discussion about updating the website. Our webmaster has been making subtle changes so there was no further discussion from the BOD.
- There was discussion about where the State Championship will be held this coming year. We had 3 official letters of intent: 1. City of Venice, 2. City of Mulberry, 3. Lake City. After much discussion Damon agreed to disqualify his contest since he is on the Board. Don Fisher from Suncoast BBQ Bash in Venice was at the meeting to discuss his event, the improvements he is making for 2013 and his desire to be the State Championship contest for Florida. But after talking in depth about all the contests and voting; The city of Mulberry and their Mulberry Fine Swine at the Pit won the majority of the votes for Florida. Jesup will be the State Championship contest for Georgia and Alba won out for Alabama.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 5:27 pm
Respectfully submitted by: Gail M. Cushing
Next Meeting: September 24, 2012